Job Posting: Students for a Free Tibet
|Location: SFT HQ Office (602 E 14th Street, New York City, NY)|
Hours: 24 hours per week
Start date: September 18, 2023
Compensation: Based on experience level
Reports to: Office Manager
Application deadline: September 15, 2023
(interviews conducted on a rolling basis)
- Highly motivated team player
- Hard working and honest, approaches projects with a can-do mindset
- Growth mindset and eager to learn on the job
- Independent problem solver with a positive attitude
- Time management and detail oriented
- Must have an undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- Willing to travel for work as needed
Preferred: Has experience organizing large events or programs including but not limited to: conferences, protests, concerts or parties, or workshops. Familiarity with Google Workspace (Drive, Docs, Sheets, etc). Knowledge about Tibetan culture or history, Chinese history or politics, and fluency in Tibetan are a plus.
The Programs Coordinator position fills a vital role within the core team at SFT International. The primary responsibilities include coordinating a wide range of SFT’s programs, with a strong focus on community organizing and logistics. The Program Coordinator works on projects such as bringing together 35+ Himalayan restaurants and 10,000+ NYC local residents to learn about Tibet through culture/food at SFT’s annual Momo Crawl; working with grassroots leaders across North America to organize SFT’s 30th Anniversary Longsho Nite tour; collaborating with SFT’s Grassroots Team to coordinate logistics for major SFT trainings including the 2024 Cross-Movement Action Camp in Europe; working with Tibetan community leaders from New York City to organize crucial events such as March 10 rally with thousands of attendees. Additionally, the Programs Coordinator plays a vital role working alongside the Campaigns Team providing logistics leadership and support towards organizing protests, actions, and other campaign plans within SFTs core campaigns including the Colonial Boarding Schools Campaign, and the Hands off Tibetan DNA Campaign. These campaigns would not be possible without the reliable and consistent contributions of the Programs Coordinator!
The current position is a part-time role for three days a week (in person) with a possibility to increase hours at the end of a four-month trial period. The Programs Coordinator will work directly with the Executive Director and Office Manager, as well as SFT grassroots leaders from around the world to organize successful programs. Whether you are working with a team to plan a 10-city concert tour or managing logistics for a week-long action camp, this job will have countless opportunities to make a meaningful contribution for the Tibetan Freedom Movement.
- Work with a wide range of SFT teams (Development, Grassroots, Campaigns, and Operations Teams) to increase the quality of SFT’s core programs.
- Oversee the timely and effective organizing of SFT’s three largest programs of the year: Longsho Nite Tour, Momo Crawl, and Art for Tibet.
- Organize and lead weekly/monthly meetings, skillfully facilitate the organizing committee meetings to ensure members play a relevant role in planning and executing the above mentioned programs.
- Work in close collaboration with SFT’s Grassroots Director to ensure smooth logistical execution for SFT’s three largest training programs of the year: Cross-Movement Action Camp, East Coast Conference, and Youth for Tibet.
- If needed, travel with the grassroots team to take on the role of “Logistics Lead” or “Ground Coordinator,” at SFT’s core training programs.
- Organizing SFT’s local programs in NYC ranging from rallies responding to urgent news from Tibet, to the annual Holiday Party.
- Maintain a positive and productive working relationship with SFT’s core local partners in NYC, including but not limited to local Tibetan community organizations, SFT core supporters base in NYC, and local SFT volunteers/members. Act as SFT HQ’s primary point of contact for these core local constituencies.
- Work with SFT’s Office Manager to provide general support within the team as needed.
- Team player: We’re a busy team, and as a self-starter and a solution-oriented member of the team, you’ll help enable other staff to do their jobs; view your work as supporting the whole and integral to the team’s effectiveness.
- 100% follow-through: Stay on top of all specific tasks/follow-up items and general areas of work; consistently meet deadlines.
- Attention to detail: Everything going out (other than internal communication) is polished, meaning accurate (right content, no misspellings, grammatical errors, etc.) and precise (reflects nuances, captures subtleties, etc.) and “fits” the situation (should have SFT’s “look and feel” generally but can be casual when situation calls for it.
- Positive attitude and flexibility: Approach work with a spirit of “yes”; strike a positive tone; push work forward through obstacles and adapt quickly as things change (which they inevitably will).
About Students for a Free Tibet:
Students for a Free Tibet (SFT) is a creative, strategic, and dynamic organization at the forefront of Tibet’s non-violent struggle for freedom. We are a chapter-based network of young people and activists around the world. Through education, grassroots organizing, and non-violent direct action, we campaign for Tibetans’ fundamental right to political freedom. Our mission is to empower and train youth as leaders in the worldwide movement for social justice.